After King County Elections opened 43 ballot drop boxes last fall, another 11 are now accessible for the Primary Election. Among them are Tukwila and Rainier Beach community centers serving diverse constituents in the 98168 and 98118 area codes, respectively. The latest opened Monday at North Seattle College.
“This is an important local election year in King County, with a record number of people running for office,” said Julie Wise, Director of King County Elections in a statement to the press.
Seattle’s crowded mayoral race of 21 candidates has made national headlines, with popular contenders Bob Hasegawa, Jenny Durkan, Nikkita Oliver, Mike McGinn, Cary Moon and Jessyn Farrell campaigning to advance to the General Election.
Since the close of the 2017 legislative session, the county has adopted a plan to build 32 additional drop boxes before the 2019 Primary Election to total 86 boxes, according to Kafia Hosh, King County Elections Communications Officer. Last year, King County Elections distributed ballots in Korean and Spanish for the first time.
For this Primary Election, ballots can be dropped off at 54 locations 24 hours a day up until Election Day on Aug. 1, when boxes close at 8 p.m.
King County Elections mailed ballots to 1.3 million voters on July 12, according to their website. Those with voting questions can contact King County Elections at (206) 296-VOTE.
- Find the closest ballot drop box to your home.
- Get general voting tips.
- Locate accessible voting centers.
11 new ballot drop box locations:
- Fall City Library: 33415 Southeast Forty-Second Place, 98024
- Kenmore City Hall: 18120 Sixty-Eighth Avenue Northeast, 98028
- Hobart Food Market (Maple Valley): 20250 Two-Hundred and Seventy-Sixth Avenue, 98038
- North Seattle College (Seattle): 9600 College Way North Seattle, 98103
- Mercer Island Community & Event Center: 8236 Southeast Twenty-Fourth Street, 98040
- Tukwila Community Center: 12424 Forty-Second Avenue South, 98168
- Boulevard Park Library (Seattle): 12015 Roseberg Avenue South, 98168
- Garfield Community Center (Seattle): 2323 East Cherry Street, 98122
- Magnolia Park (Seattle): 1461 Magnolia Boulevard West, 98199
- Rainier Beach Community Center (Seattle): 8825 Rainier Avenue South, 98118
- Newcastle City Hall: 12835 Newcastle Way, 98056
Editor’s note: The date of the opening of the North Seattle College ballot drop box has been corrected. It opened Monday, July 24, not Thursday, July 27.